To mark the total lunar eclipse that will happen this evening, I've arranged my own omelette-eclipsing fried rice...
Lots of ingredients went into today's fried rice and omelette.
#1 : Leftover rice!!!
And, leaving the frozen fish fillet and faux crabmeat to defrost.
#2: Omelette: Fry a mixture of egg, minced fish meat (marinated with salt and sesame oil), faux crab meat and spring onion
#3: Preparing the ingredients for fried rice
List of things to slice/dice/chop:
#4: Preparing the stock
Dissolve some powdered anchovies stock into just 2 tablespoonful of water. Add some Chinese cooking wine and light soya sauce. Pour into a bowl which is already filled with faux crabmeat and diced charsiew.
All ready to do today's deluxe fried rice!
(1) Heat frying pan and add some cooking oil. I used remnants from the omelette plus just a little more from the bottle.
(2) Saute the plate of 'browns' (shitake, dried cuttlefish, dried prawns, garlic and shallots) till fragrant. Lower the flame.
(3) Push the browns to one side of the pan and pour in leftover rice. Turn up the flame and mix well.
(4) Make some room for the stock/meats and spring onion. Mix well.
(5) Create some space in the center of the pan and add an egg. Wait a few seconds before mixing it with the rice. Do some tasting and add more light soya sauce if you like your fried rice saltier.
(6) Serve fried rice over half/whole omelette. Also add some green chilli and chilli crab paste (I ran out of chilli).
Here's mumusings' lunar-inspired fried rice for December 21:)
Time needed: close to 30 minutes
Cost: less than S$4.00 for 3 large portions